Monday 9 May 2016

Kem Cho? Maja Ma!

A post on my second home and how Mr. Dutta doesn't cease to surprise. 

An integral part of being Mrs. Dutta is visiting Ahmedabad on a regular basis. It had been home to my hubby for several school and college years and still is home to his parents. Through these numerous visits over the years I have begun to love the city as a second home. Now, if you stay in Ahmedabad you may not notice it but for a person coming from outside there are certain things that stand out and I have liked every bit of it.

To me, Ahmedabad stands out for several things, its plethora of sweet and savory food (mostly homemade) including dhoklas, khaman, khakhra, fafda, kachoris, aamras, shrikhand, chunda and many more. I have found people to be much simpler in their food habits, dressing and lifestyle. Weekends are usually spent with family at the club that have excellent amenities yet an extremely affordable menu. No wonder, unlike Gurgaon, people don’t feel the need to hit the malls every weekend.

In the absence of pubs (yes, it’s a dry state) and ‘night life’ as we typically understand, there is a late night ice cream culture and owing to that the presence of an ice cream parlor at every nook and cranny. ‘Havmor’ is omnipresent, somewhat like Starbucks outlets in Manhattan. Also, the night market at Law Garden is worth a visit. I have enjoyed bargaining and shopping for knick-knacks from there.

To a Delhi NCR person, I appreciate the ease with which women are seen comfortably zipping past in scootys even late in the evening. During Navratris, women are seen freely roaming the streets in backless chaniya-cholis late into the night, without the threat of being teased or ogled at. This is so comforting to see. Doing the same in Delhi NCR would be considered as ‘asking for trouble’.

Gujarat is amazing when it comes to handicrafts and customized clothing. If you can dream it, the boutiques there can create it and improvise on it, even if you are on a budget. Every time, I go to Ahmedabad with some space in my suitcase for shopping, I have often come back with an additional new bag filled with a bit of Ahmedabad in them. I blame it on Gujrat being high on the creativity and entrepreneurship spirit.

In Ahmedabad, I have found the definition of ‘far’ laughable. Everyplace is about 15-20 minutes away at the most, if not less. The roads are better than Gurgaon’s and there is relatively lesser traffic (although this is getting a little like the bigger metros lately). However, driving can be a little scary with an abundance of two wheelers and a total disregard for the traffic signals.

During our last visit, my husband and I decided to venture out in my in-laws car. It was a Sunday with limited cars on the road and like law abiding citizens we stopped at the red light. Within seconds we heard a screeching halt behind us. It was the car immediately behind us. We had been saved from getting bumped by inches. Even with the red light still on, the driver of the car drove away while staring at us and muttering under his breath. It was at that moment we realized that no GJ car finds it important to stop at a red light!

The very next day, while hubby dearest was trying to reverse the car in a narrow lane, a speeding scooter decided to squeeze its way in from behind. While nothing happened, the guy riding pillion started shouting in Gujarati and to my surprise, even Mr. Dutta responded in flawless Gujarati. Words and phrases in a language I never knew he could speak so fluently in nine years of knowing him.


For me visiting Ahmedabad is Awesome, hearing Mr. Dutta arguing in impeccable Gujarati Super Awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment